Khajuraho "the Temples of Love"
The Khajuraho Group of Monuments are a group of Hindu and
Jain temples in Madhya Pradesh, India. About 620 kilometres (385 mi) southeast
of New Delhi, they are one of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites in India. The
temples are famous for their Nagara-style architectural symbolism and their
erotic sculptures, so they were named "the Temples of Love".
Most Khajuraho temples were built between 950 and 1050 AD, during the Chandela
dynasty. Historical records note that Khajuraho temple site had 85 temples by
12th century, spread over 20 square kilometers. Of these, only about 20 temples
have survived, spread over 6 square kilometers. Of the various surviving
temples, the Kandariya temple is decorated with a profusion of sculptures with
intricate details, symbolism and expressiveness of ancient Indian art.
The Khajuraho group of temples were built together but were dedicated to two
schools of Hinduism and to Jainism - suggesting a tradition of acceptance and
respect for diverse religious views among Hindus and Jains.
The walls of all Khajuraho temples are highly decorated with intricately carved sculptures.
Whereas temples of Khajuraho are illustrious for their erotic sculptures,
sexual themes are covering less than 10% of the temples walls art.
most sex scene panels are in balance with the non-
The wall arts cover numerous
aspects of human life and values
are important in Hindu pantheon.